Hello and welcome to my personal site. I’m Dr Tommy Thompson, a senior lecturer of computer science (currently part-time at Anglia Ruskin University). My research interests include procedural content generation for game design, application of games as benchmarks for computationally intelligent systems and AI-driven game design. I have over 30 peer-reviewed publications in international journals and conferences related to games and artificial intelligence since 2008.
Outside of academia, I work freelance as an AI consultant and programmer to the video games industry as well as a public speaker on game-AI research and applications as part of AI and Games.a My business that is predominantly known for the YouTube series of the same name that looks at research and applications of artificial intelligence in video games.
In addition, I am co-founder of game development company Table Flip Games. Our company makes our own video game titles but also provides outsourcing for clients in 3D art, animation and programming as well as tutorials and training in video game technologies.
Qualifications & Experience
A complete list of qualifications plus a breakdown of academic and industry experience can be found in my CV.
Please consult my separate publications page for the complete list of all academic publications.
Talks and Media Appearances
I actively engage in speaking about games and artificial intelligence in a number of capacities as lecturer, STEM ambassador, independent video game developer and AI researcher. Below is a list of some of the media appearances and public speaking engagements I’ve had in recent years:
Public Speaking & Invited Talks
- AI and Games (Fringe Theatre Panel), EGX Rezzed, Tobacco Docks, London, UK, April 2019,
- The State of Play: Artificial Intelligence in the Video Games Industry, Galatasaray High School, Istanbul, Turkey, March 2019.
- AI and Games (Fringe Theatre Panel), EGX, Birmingham NEC, Birmingham, UK, September 2018.
- Making Interesting Decisions Together: AI and Video Games, Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK, June 2018.
- Ride the Wave of Computer Games, GAMER Research Collaboration Event, De Montford University, May 2018
- Move -> GoTo -> Animate: Getting the Most Out of Your AI, London is Unreal Meetup, London UK, April 2018
- Look at me Still Talking When There’s Science To Do, Games Forum London, January 2018
- Would You Like to Play a Game? (AI design in video games), VideoBrains, London UK (London Games Festival 2017), March 2017
- ‘Looking for Love on Pandora’ (PCG and Player Expectations) VideoBrains, London UK, November 2016
- The Super Mario Makers, Norwich Gaming Festival, Norwich UK, March 2016.
- First Foot Forward: Procedural Generation Research in Sure Footing, PROCJAM, Imperial College, London UK, November 2015.
- The Quest for AI Game Designers. GameCity festival, Nottingham UK, October 2015.
- Teaching Robots To Play: Why Science Loves Gaming, EGX, Birmingham NEC, Birmingham UK, September 2015
- And [my bot] Vowed to Return Victorious! (Spelunky as an AI benchmark), International Roguelike Developers Conference (IRDC), National Videogame Arcade, Nottingham UK, June 2015
- The Impact of AI-Based Game Design, Norwich Gaming Festival, Norwich UK, April 2015
Media Interviews and Articles:
- “All Your Games Are Belong To Us”: MCV UK, July 2018.
- “The era of ‘break-out indie success’ is long dead”: GamesIndustry.biz, May 2018
- Get Into Games: University of Derby: EDGE magazine, July 2013, page 191.